Thursday, July 05, 2007

World War Old Spice
UPDATED with Phil Hester Statement

Forget the Incredibly Upset Hulk and his promise to wipe out Earth's Mightiest Heroes... The real danger facing the Marvel Universe is an alien invasion from the planet Oldspiceooine in the Productplacementylat Sector of the Sellingoutlikeabitch Galaxy. See all SEVENTEEN signs of the invasion from the latest issue of the Irredeemable Ant-Man #10 after the jump.

Seriously, there is an Old Spice billboard behind everyone, Old Spice in apartments, Old Spice flying through the air, and TWO UNIQUE Old Spice products in the stomach of the Incredible Hulk. Like somewhere along his long space journey to New York he stopped off to snack on an Old Spice factory?! I just don't get it. I really love this book, and I hate to have the experience soured like this. I understand that comics are a business like any other and money must be made, but this is not the way to do it. Shame on editor Aubrey Sitterson.

UPDATE: The Blog @ Newsarama picked up the story, and it's been getting some interesting comments. Commenter Caleb spotted a reflection of the S.S. Old Spice that I missed:And Phil Hester himself showed up to explain a bit: "The product placement was required, but we took it upon ourselves to do it on every page as a laugh. And it is on every page." Asked if being forced to shoehorn advertisements into his work was frustrating, he said "Yes, but we tried to be funny and semi-subversive about it, so it wasn’t so bad. Then I think about the many artists who spend their entire careers working in advertising and thank my lucky stars."

2 comments:

Degan said...

wow, shame indeed. I thought your old spice alien race was a genuine in book joke-i had no clue things had gotten this bad. That is pretty awful. sigh.

Anonymous said...

THanks for bringing this to our attention ... maybe I'm being humorless but I think it's awful.