Thursday, October 04, 2007

Booze For Books, Todd Hanyes, and The Adventures of Space Dog


Friday, October 5, 2007
If you're like me, you have tons of dictionaries and thesauruses clogging up your bookshelves, placed there by an etymology crazed GF. Luckily, The Desk Set is throwing a literary dance party that accepts your old paperback word-books in exchange for sweet, sweet booze. Time to clear some shelf space. No (hard)cover! Get it? Book, cover? But seriously, no cover.

Saturday, October 6, 2007
  • Todd Haynes
  • 4pm @ The Walter Reade Theater, 70 Lincoln Center Plaza, Manhattan
I went to a film camp in 10th grade, and they made us watch Safe. I thought to myself, "As a film connessouir, I declare this boring and overrated." I'm now willing to accept I may have missed something. Director Haynes will be talking about his new experimental Dylan biopic, I'm Not There. Tickets are sold out online, but hit the title link for standby info.

Sunday, October 7, 2007
  • George O'Connor, Sara Varon, and Nick Abadzis
  • 6pm @ Rocketship, 208 Smith Street, Brooklyn
These are all comic creators from First Second Books, a company known for publishing excellent indie fare. Abadzis has had some recent buzz with Laika, the story of the first dog in space. You can read an excerpt of it here, in which an adorable pup gets put in one of those scary astronaut centerfugues. Historical!