Tuesday, August 19, 2008

NBC's Big Deal Sci-Fi Web Series Is Actually Pretty Good

The square media is finally starting to respond to the fact that their days are numbered, and those numbers are ONE and ZERO. Binary. I'm talking about original web content, and in the world of webshows there's no bigger story right now than NBC's newest bid to join the new century, a 50-episode web series starring Rosario Dawson called Gemini Division.

The series premiered on Monday, and my review is currently up on Tilzy.TV, a news and reviews hub for web shows. Though I went in fully prepared to write a hilariously cruel review (the trailer does the show no favors), it's actually an enjoyable piece of work. I guess RENT and Josie & The Pussycats weren't enough to show me the full range of Rosie D's charm, cause she's kind of adorable in this. But maybe you already knew that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah! more stupid web content that's not available outside the u.s. Should someone explain to these mafkrs that it's the, uh WORLD WIDE web?? Otherwise, love your work gnerd. I've been reading regularly for months now. you can read my blog if you like. its casio.fleetfm.com

AHR said...

Yeah, I only became aware of this whole "Geo-Lock" phenomenon today via this GD fansite. Does it not even work on third party sites, like Hulu.com?

Your blog's blogroll reminded me I need to post about the end of the first arc of freakangels. Volume I was too good to be free.

TimTodd said...

Thanks for the note about Gemini Division. It does work on Hulu, but not outside the US. :(.

My last blog post is about Geoblocking and Gemini Division. The good news is that Gemini Division will be released to other territories, the bad news is the waiting. It is too bad so much streaming content is being subject to geoblocking. The Olympics sure made that clear (at least for me).

In addition to what I wrote in the article, it may be good that it wasn't released at the same time. Hopefully, Sony will do better than NBC, particularly with the interactive content. Will be having a post about that soon as well. :)

I agree with you AHR, I am glad the series is better than the trailer and am enjoying it so far. I think NBC has made a few fumbles and shouldn't be:

1) Prerolling ads for ad integrated content.
2) They also shouldn't have large ads above and to the right of the video.

It is like an ad onslaught. Aagh. Fortunately, scifi.com doesn't have that problem. Looking forward to the main rollout starting Monday and enjoying the story so far.